New Solution Delivers all the Benefits of Cloud Infrastructure Automation Inside the Firewall
SEATTLE, Wash – June 14, 2011 Opscode, Inc., the leader in cloud infrastructure automation, today at the O’Reilly Velocity Conference in Santa Clara, Calif., announced its latest infrastructure automation solution, Opscode Private Chef™ (OPC). The Private Chef appliance provides Opscode Hosted Chef’s™ highly available, dynamically scalable, fully managed and supported automation environment behind the corporate firewall.
“Traditional systems management solutions come with a very high operating burden – simply learning to manage the infrastructure that manages your infrastructure is a daunting investment of both capital and time, often involving lengthy consulting engagements,” said Adam Jacob, co-founder and chief product officer of Opscode. “Private Chef packages all of Opscode’s operating expertise in running this critical business function and delivers this right into the enterprise data-center, in a highly available, custom built hardware appliance.”
“New methods of IT automation are providing IT staff with tools that enable them to deliver applications at a speed that matches the rapid pace of business demands,” said Michael Cote, analyst at RedMonk. “I like these new approaches like Opscode’s because they seek to fundamentally change, and thus improve, the way IT is managed rather than just incrementally speeding up older approaches. Early adopters looking to get an edge in IT-led innovation will appreciate one of the few toe-holds of differentiation left in today’s highly competitive world.”
Opscode’s Private Chef is purpose-built to meet enterprise datacenter requirements, packaging together all of Opscode’s deep expertise in running the world’s largest hosted automation platform – and delivering it as an appliance-based managed service behind the enterprise firewall. Private Chef delivers the following capabilities:
- Accelerate Deployment and Configuration Management — OPC gives IT managers the power to radically accelerate deployment and configuration management, so they can hit the ground running. This process delivers immediate business value rather than requiring IT managers to spend weeks figuring out how to make automation function.
- Scalability Made Simple — OPC features a write-once-run-anywhere DNA that makes scalability simple. IT managers simply bring the server online — from five to 50,000 servers in public or private clouds — and Private Chef automatically makes the necessary updates.
- Achieve Immediate Infrastructure Awareness — With Opscode Private Chef, IT managers are able to dynamically query data within “recipes” to configure complex services like discovering master MySQL servers, configuring Nagios or finding all the memcached servers in a cluster. The necessary data is indexed and made searchable within OPC, allowing complex problems to be solved with simple, smart code.
- Enhanced Access and Data Encryption — Private Chef provides centrally controlled, role-based access and data encryption, which gives IT managers control over who can see information and when it is available. In addition, Private Chef can be customized to meet the requirements of a specific security environment.
- Open-Source — Opscode is part of a vibrant open-source community of more than 350 people and 75 different companies that are constantly iterating on and improving Chef. IT managers can rest assured that if complex problems arise, the community is there to help solve them.
- Full Automation Capability — Use OPC to create perfect clones of any environment: quality assurance, pre-production, partner-preview and more. Once automated, you retain a blueprint of the infrastructure, allowing you to build, or rebuild, automatically in minutes or hours — not weeks or months.
Private Chef is available for purchase.
Opscode is the leader in cloud infrastructure automation. We help companies of all sizes develop fully automated server infrastructures that scale easily and predictably; can be quickly rebuilt in any environment, and save developers and systems engineers time and money.
Our team is comprised of web infrastructure experts responsible for building and operating some of the world’s largest websites and cloud computing platforms. Opscode is headquartered in Seattle, Washington, USA.