Continuing our commitment to work in partnership with the Community, we are excited to announce the preliminary details to our Contributor Entitlement program. At Chef, we recognize and value the Community’s involvement and we are dedicated to enabling our contributors to use the very software they are helping to build.
Wondering what’s in the “fine print” for what it takes to be eligible for a Contributor Entitlement? Chef considers any of the following contributions to be qualifying:
- Publish and maintain at least 5 distinct content items
- This could include Habitat Core Plans, InSpec Profiles, or Chef Community Cookbooks
- Submit, and have approved and merged, at least 5 PRs or Patches for the core Chef projects per year
- We consider the core projects to be Chef Infra, InSpec, Habitat, and Automate
- Contribute and publish at least 10 meaningful contributions to official Chef documentation per year
Great news — you’ve checked off at least one of the items above (maybe more!) — and now you may be wondering what is included in your complimentary contributor license.
Each qualifying account will be granted the equivalent of $15,000 USD of license entitlement (subject to review of your commercial relationship with Chef, should one exist). This gives our contributors the flexibility of deciding how best to apply the credit as it works for their business. So feel free to use it on any combination of Chef products; we ask only that it be declared as part of the contract. We also require that entitlements be claimed within 12 months of the most recent qualifying contribution and be renewed annually. Thus, even though the entitlement expires annually, any ongoing contributions would qualify contributors to renew their contributor entitlement.
With these details now finalized, our intent is to roll out the formal Contributor Entitlement program (and application process) by the end of June. We are thrilled to be able to continue to closely collaborate with our Community and identify different ways to formally recognize these valuable contributions!