Chef has been busy shipping a lot of new software lately. Here are some of the releases that have shipped in the last few weeks!
The Chef Server was recently updated to consolidate credentials that are stored on the system. This update paved the way for a number of other product releases:
- Chef Server 12.14.0 – This release also introduces new chef-server-ctl commands for managing secrets and improves credentials proliferation by reducing the number of files which contain plaintext passwords.
- These release takes advantage of Chef Server’s new consolidated credentials:
Writing and sharing cookbooks is an important part of the Chef development experience. Here are some of the software releases that help with that process.
- Bento 2.3.4 – The latest batch of bento boxes has been built and uploaded to Atlas.
- ChefSpec 6.2 – a fix for search and an update to reporting.
- Fauxhai 4.1 – a new option to disable GitHub access when executing ChefSpec.
- Foodcritic 10.2 – Foodcritic release velocity is ramping up. The latest release includes 3 new rules and reduces the number of false positives.
- Stove 5.0 – Extended metadata will now be generated and shipped to the Supermarket by default.
- kitchen-vagrant 1.1.0 – a number of enhancements and fixes including better caching capabilities.
- Supermarket 2.9.21 – Security update and new quality metrics
While we’re on the subject of cookbooks, the Windows cookbook recently received a major release and the Cookbook Engineering team has been busy updating cookbooks so that they’ll work properly with the upcoming Chef Client 13 release.
The 3.0.0 release of the Audit Cookbook is focused on improving use of this cookbook in an air-gapped environment and prepares the cookbook for the pending Chef Client 13 release.
Other cookbooks that have been updated in the last few weeks include:
As mentioned above the Push Jobs server was recently updated to take advantage of changes to the Chef Server. The Push Jobs client was updated, too!
- Push Jobs Server 2.2.0
- Push Jobs Client 2.2.0 – primarily updates several dependencies to more modern versions.
- InSpec 1.18.0 – New key_rsa and x509_certificate resources, enhancements to InSpec Habitat profile, and a few other enhancements and fixes.
- Habitat 0.19.0 – Habitat continues to move pretty quickly. This release is chock full of features and bug fixes.
Want to know what’s coming up next? We have been posting some of our demos on YouTube! Check out to the Demo Days playlist on YouTube to see what’s coming soon.