If not, don’t worry. There’s plenty of time to get started. If you’re feeling overwhelmed by all the options, we have some pointers for helping out with Chef’s projects.
- Never contributed to a Chef project before? Head on over to our Contributing to Chef Projects page to learn more. Make sure to take a look at the Developer Certificate of Origin part!
- Looking for some tips on contributing to open source in general or working with git? Get started with Learn Chef Rally and Open Source Collaboration. Or check out some GitHub Guides or any number of git howtos on your favorite part of the internets.
New to GitHub and looking for some issues to help out with? GitHub’s issue search allows you to dig around for just the issues you’re looking for.
Our Sous Chefs friends have issues labeled “Good First Issue” to help new contributors get started with things that aren’t too crazy but still need to get done. So if you’re a Chef Infra cookbook master, take a look in their repos:
- Log in on GitHub
- In the search bar, you can use
- is:open is:issue org:sous-chefs label:”Good first issue”
- is:open is:issue org:sous-chefs label:”Help Wanted”
- Read the Sous Chef Contributing Guide
- Find an interesting issue and get coding!
- Specific cookbooks that could use some of your love are
Maybe Chef InSpec is more to your interest? The InSpec and dev-sec.io community have some issues you might take a look at:
- Know nginx? Help improve the nginx hardening cookbook – https://github.com/dev-sec/chef-nginx-hardening/issues/53
- Our non-English users could use some help on Windows – https://github.com/dev-sec/chef-windows-hardening/issues/48
- The Linux Baseline InSpec profile could use some help with validation and audit of CPU vulnerabilities – https://github.com/dev-sec/linux-baseline/issues/114
- Add grub password protection and hardening to the Chef os-hardening cookbook – https://github.com/dev-sec/chef-os-hardening/issues/224
- Enhance the management of auditd in the Chef os-hardening cookbook. (I will miss this one when it is fixed, I use this failure for demos ;) ) – https://github.com/dev-sec/chef-os-hardening/issues/182
- Or take a look at this issue that’s been bouncing around awhile about wrapping the openssh cookbook for better management of that service – https://github.com/dev-sec/chef-ssh-hardening/issues/89
Have you been working with Chef Habitat? Maybe you can lend a hand this month with updating some of the Core Plans or other bits and pieces? Check out what’s marked under “E-easy”; there are packages that need version updates and other tasks.
Lots of cool stuff is going on around Hacktoberfest. Check out the Hacktoberfest events page for an event near you. Join Chef’s Community Slack to meet more Chef developers, ask questions, and learn new things. If you’re not ready to contribute yet, keep up with all of Chef’s products on Learn Chef Rally; it’s full of free learning modules for plenty of topics around Chef Infra, Chef Habitat, and Chef InSpec.