The Chef Certification program currently has three badges available for achieving the Certified Chef Developer level of certification. To reach this level of cert, you must pass the Basic Chef Fluency, Local Cookbook Development, and Extending Chef exams. In early March, we will introduce the Deploying Cookbooks badge. If the scope of this badge maps more directly to your work, this can be your third badge instead of Extending Chef.
There are now two paths to become a Certified Chef Developer:
- Basic Chef Fluency, Local Cookbook Development, Cookbook Deployment
- Basic Chef Fluency, Local Cookbook Development, Extending Chef
Our goal with this program is to ensure that achieving a level of certification maps directly to valuable skills, knowledge, and Chef proficiency. The exams are difficult and require both broad and deep knowledge of Chef Software. The bar is high, but the the benefits to becoming Chef Certified are worth the effort. Currently, the pass rate for the exams is 55%.
Why Get Certified?
- By demonstrating Chef proficiency you are paving the way to a growing career focused on automation and DevOps
- With the growing need for Chef practitioners, you put yourself in line for a promotion or a new career opportunity
- If your company is new to Chef, your skills will allow you to be a key decision maker for the transition to the new way of working
- Achieving Chef Certification is an inexpensive way to show proof that your expertise is staying current with the needs of the industry – easily share your success on LinkedIn and other social channels
- Personal satisfaction from delivering relevant and impactful business value
As the enterprise increasingly employs DevOps initiatives to drive business velocity, automation skills are fundamental to achieving success. Automation skills also present a significant career opportunity for IT practitioners. As DevOps adoption continues to rise, the value of Chef capabilities is also dramatically increasing. A recent Dice Technology Salary Survey rates Chef skills among the top ten worldwide, commanding a salary of more than $130,000 annually.
Get Certified Now
To get you started, we are offering a 20% discount on all badge exams scheduled between now and March 31st. To take advantage of the discount, use the code CERTIFICATION20 when scheduling your exam.
If you are not quite ready to take an exam, but are planning to attend ChefConf 2017, you will have the opportunity to take the certification exams onsite in Austin. The Chef training team will be there to support you through this process.
Are there t-shirts and stickers?
What’s next for the program?
We are actively developing the exams for Certified Chef Architect. In addition to the four badges available for Certified Chef Developer, we will require two additional badges to reach this level of certification:
- Chef Automate
- Auditing with InSpec
These badges will be available Summer 2017.